1. Elaborating on Edward Said’s book Orientalism, Jackson develops his own concept of Black Orientalism.
2. Explain both Said’s and Jackson’s Orientalism in your own words.
3. Summarize how and why Islam emerged in the Black community in the U.S. (including Jackson’s term “Black Religion”) and how Black Islam changed with the arrival of large numbers of Muslim immigrants from the Arab world.
4. In the end, give an example of a stereotypical opinion that reflects Black Orientalism, as well as an example of a legitimate critique of Islam, according to Jackson.
5. Do you find the concept of Black Orientalism helpful? Why? Why not?