How does structural oppression work? How does one take up the responsibility resisting and dismantling this structure? Make an argument using the following authors: Marx, Malcolm X, and Coates.
The following essay should center around these works from these authors:
– Ta-Nehisi Coates, “Between the World and Me”
– Marx’s “The Communist Manifesto”
– Malcolm X with Alex Haley, “The Autobiography of Malcom X”
Structure your response around a strong thesis that creates a unified argument that goes beyond simply listing qualities or general summaries of the author’s positions. Use specific examples from the texts as evidence, including short quotations where appropriate. Your introduction should be short; we want to hear what you have to say about these texts.
Some beginning work to center the essay around:
Marx: moves made from the 19th-20th century; shift from looking at the world of responsibility; shifting to what are the incentives of the system that create a situation where some people are winners and losers
– If you’re in the losers; what can u do to push back against it
Coates: if you’re a winner, what do you do to push back on your dreams being build on the loss of others
– Society builds incentives/structures that are beyond the individual factor