Essay 1. 2000 – 2200 word essay.
Students are required to select and analyse a theoretical approach and/or method (from
SW5003) giving a clear rationale for their selection. The aim of this essay is to demonstrate a
detailed knowledge and ability to evaluate and analyse a theoretical approach or method.
In order to achieve a pass mark you are expected to demonstrate the following:
1. Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of a theoretical approach and/or method.
2. Provide a critical analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the chosen
3. Demonstrate critical use of relevant literature and research evidence in your
4. Demonstrate an acceptable standard of written English and accurate referencing
I have chosen Ecological theory approach
1) Show your understanding of the chosen theory
– Why you choose that theory
– Describe the key concept
– Describe the origin
– What are the key thinkers?
Now draw on the above to show your understanding
2) Provide critical analyses of the theory
– it can be on the strength of the theory
– why would you recommend this theory
– what can the theory do in practice
– how can it help us to understand the world
b) the limitations of the theory
– Are there any particular group that the theory cannot be used for
– are there situations you couldn’t apply the theory
– why you think it is a limitation
– how can this limitation be overcome (can they be overcome by adoption a concept? Or by
researching and area?
3) Demonstrate your ability to use the literature and research. Show evidence to present
evidence to present your argument