Second Essay Assignment: Case Study Analysis
Your second essay assignment is to analyze a case study—a book or a documentary—from the perspective
of a theoretical lens that we have covered in the first half of the class. Your analysis of the case study must
be in the form of an argument—convince the reader why your analysis is correct.
Your first draft (4 points) should be 2 FULL pages, which does NOT include your Bibliography. It is
due by 11:59 pm April 1st
Your second draft (4 points) should be 4–5 typed pages, which does NOT include your Bibliography. It
is due by 11:59 pm April 15th
. The second draft will only be graded on whether you made corrections and
improvements, whether you incorporate any theorists, and the paper’s length and formatting. You will
again be submitting the second draft to Smarthinking.
Your Smarthinking feedback (2 points) is due by 11:59 pm April 22nd
. Make sure you turn in both the
overall comments of the tutor as well as your second draft with the tutor’s inline comments (in bold and in
brackets within your draft).
Your third draft (15 points) should be 5–6 typed pages, which does NOT include your Bibliography. It
is due by 11:59 pm April 27th
Remember that late papers are marked down two letter grades for every week they are late. Keep in mind,
though, that the final draft cannot really be late because it will be turned in at the very end of the term.
You will now need to cite the sources properly starting from the first draft, using footnotes and a
Bibliography in the Chicago Style. See the “Writing Resources” module on Canvas for help,
especially the file “Citations of Case Studies in Chicago Style.”
Remember not to use any outside sources for this paper. Stay away from the Internet when writing
essays for this class.
• If turning in a hard copy, staple your paper before turning it in
• Put ONLY your Santa Fe ID number in the upper right corner of the 1st page—YOUR NAME
SHOULD NOT APPEAR ANYWHERE ON THE PAPER
• Make sure there is an original title centered and in bold font at the top of the 1st page
• 1-inch margins on all sides
• Spacing should be double-spaced evenly throughout (note that your Word Processor might insert slight
extra spacing every time you hit “enter”—see the “Writing Resources” module for a link to a website
explaining how to remove this)
• Use 12-point font size for the title, the entire body of the paper, the heading “Bibliography,” and the
• Times New Roman font
• EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST PARAGRAPH (which is not indented), every paragraph should be
indented one “tab” (do not use spacebar to indent)
• Pages should be numbered at the bottom center or bottom right of each page
• Bibliography should be on its own page, with “Bibliography” centered and in bold font at the top of
• Footnotes should be uniform throughout essay—single spaced, Times New Roman font, 10- or 11-
point font size, no spacing between notes