1. Using examples, discuss how the elderly are stereotyped in popular media. Make a case that this
situation is getting better, staying the same, or getting worse.
2. Think back to the John Oliver videos on FIFA. Based on that information, how might a conflict
theorist explain how FIFA works?
3. Pure capitalism does not exist, not even in places like the United States. Why not? Be sure to
discuss what capitalism is as you write y
4. Using breakdown theory, explain how a riot might occur this year.
5. Explain how IQ tests discriminate against different types of individuals. What can this tell us
about our educational system as a whole
6. From a sociological perspective, why does it matter who owns the media? Answer this question
both in a broad sense and using one of the four main theoretical perspectives
7. In the context of the individual and social dimensions of religion, why are both important in our
understanding? How does the concept of social construction contribute to our own belief systems,
and why does this matter?
8. Sociologists certainly have a lot of takes on how the COVID-19 virus affects society. But how
might a sociologist use the COVID-19 crisis to explain structural functionalism itself? Be sure to
provide specific examples.