During the Easter season, the bakery "Nice Treats" operates as a "click away" business.
It receives orders for four products: "tsoureki", "bread", "cookies" and "flaounas". An
order has a 30% probability of containing "tsoureki", 20% probability containing "bread",
15% probability for "cookies" and 35% probability for flaounas. Each order contains one
of these products in a specified quantity. For each of the products, the oven has a
special workstation, where the ingredients are mixed. The ingredients are available in
unlimited quantities. When the ingredients for a product are mixed, then each order is
placed on a tray. The trays are mounted on a trolley and brought in the oven on a First-
In-First-Out (FIFO) manner. If a disc remains on the shelf for 6 hours, then the contents
are considered expired and are discarded. There are four trainees and one baker. Each
of the trainees is assigned to a mixing station. The baker is responsible for baking. After
baking, each product waits to be packaged. Whoever is available (trainee / baker) takes
over the packaging. The packaged items come out of the oven.
The activities are described by the following distributions Order: Exponential, average =
• Preparation for “tsoureki”: Exponential, average = 1
• Preparation for bread: Exponential, average = 2
• Preparation for cookies: Exponential, average = 1
• Preparation for “flaounas”: Exponential, average = 2
• Baking Process: Normal with an average value of 1.5 and a standard deviation of 1
• Packing process: Fixed with constant value = 2
GOAL: Keep the percentage of orders that expire to less than 5% of the total orders
entering the model.
1. Draw the model for the "Nice Treats" oven, run it and comment on the "as is" state (40
2. Develop a strategy for achieving the goal and explain your assumptions, proposals as
well as the financial implications of your proposals (60 points).